Promoting the Empowerment of Women
Green Haven Shelter for Women is a community-based, non-profit, charitable organization which provides services including 24-hour safe emergency shelter; a crisis line; crisis counselling; information about community resources; emergency transportation; transitional housing support; and outreach and follow-up for women and their dependent children who are experiencing abuse.
Green Haven Shelter for Women is a feminist organization and it is our mission to promote the rights of women and their children to live in an environment of mutual respect. Through public education and advocacy, we effect social change and eliminate violence against women.
- Provide services to women with lived experience of violence in a consistent, supportive, and respectful manner.
- Create new options and choices for women by advocating for effective change within government, legal institutions, and social and medical services.
- Assist women in their efforts to explore available options in a manner which promotes personal empowerment and autonomy.
- Recognize and respond to the unique and special needs of children who have witnessed violence against women.
- Work towards ensuring that our properties and services are physically, geographically, linguistically, culturally, and financially accessible.
- Work cooperatively, share information, resources, and expertise, establish effective partnerships, and support joint initiatives with other agencies and organizations.
- Educate the public about violence against women and children.
- Provide meaningful opportunities for individuals and groups to support the philosophy, mandate, and values of Green Haven Shelter for Women through volunteer activities, financial contributions, and/or in-kind donations.